The Magazine has thick stone walls, and its roof is protected by an earth covering which together were designed to withstand the effects of enemy fire. A passageway runs round the magazine. The Magazine held 200 Shells and 200 Propellant Cartridges.
In 1885, during an upgrade of the fort, it was recommended, “As these guns bear only on inner waters 100 rounds per gun will suffice, and for this amount accommodation exists. It appears that the remainder can be stored in Blakang Mati East (Fort Connaught)”.
Soldiers entering the Magazine had to remove their footwear and strip to their underclothes before donning special clothing and footwear for working in the magazine. Soldiers working in the Magazine had to take special precautions to prevent any chance of setting off an explosion. Items such as Lucifers (matches), smoking materials and inflammable items were not permitted past the entrance.
Men involved in the transfer of propellant charges to the guns would not enter the Magazine itself. They would work in the passageway, receiving cartridges passed through the ammunition hatches. This reduced the risk of a catastrophic explosion should an accident occur. Shells were too heavy to lift through hatches, and would have been passed out of the door onto trolleys in the passageway between the guns and the Magazine.
Lighting in the Magazine was provided by oil lamps kept in recesses on the walls. The recesses had glass doors to reduce the risk of explosion. The level of light in the Magazine was not very good as there are few lighting recesses.
The Outside Wall of the Magazine.
ABOVE: The windows on each side of the entrance to the Magazine.
ABOVE: An Ammunition Recess near the No.2 7-Inch RML Emplacement