An 8-Inch BL Gun Barrel mounted in the Siloso Point Gun Emplacement in 1993. This gun is now outside the Casemates.
The Siloso Point Gun Emplacement and Searchlights from the Sea.
Although built as an AMTB Battery for a Twin 6-Pounder Gun, there was a shortage of such guns in Singapore. As a consequence of this, Fort Siloso and several other AMTB Batteries were armed with old 12-Pounder QF Guns. One, Pulau Hantu was armed with an 18-Pounder Field Gun. In Johore, Pengerang
had two 18-Pounders. The 12-Pounder mounted at
Siloso in 1941, came from two mounted at Berhala Reping when that battery was rearmed with Twin 6-Pounders. The other 12-Pounder from Berhala Reping was said to have been sent to Labrador. I presume that it was actually the Batu Berlayar AMTB Battery at Labrador which got this gun.
A Holdfast (mounting
for a fixed gun) for the 12-Pounder was built in the Siloso Point emplacement, and the 12-Pounder mounted. The Emplacement at Siloso Point was code-named'OSO'. Before WWII, the gunners who manned the 12-Pounder at OSO used to exercise daily. A boat delivering water to islands such as Pulau Bukom,
would pass by, and this was used as a practice target. The speed and range of the boat was tracked and fire orders were passed to the gunners, who in turn trained the gun on the boat and duly ‘sank’ it.
When Demolitions were carried out at Fort Siloso the deny it to the Japanese on 14th February 1942, the 12-Pounder was tripped into the sea. The Japanese recovered the gun and remounted it.
In the AMTB role, Twin 6-Pounder Guns were very effective, as the Italians found out to their cost on 26th July 1941. A force of seventeen Italian Torpedo and E-Boats attempted a dawn raid on the Grand Harbour at Valetta in Malta. Aided by Searchlights, Twin 6-Pounders at Forts St. Elmo and Ricasoli
drove them off sinking eight Torpedo and five E-boats. None of the attackers managed to get in to Grand Harbour, none made it home.
ABOVE: Believed to be the sole surviving Twin 6-Pounder. This is at the Belmont Battery of Fort Rodd Hill, Victoria Island, BC, Canada. The gun was brought to the Belmont Battery from Norway.