Belmont Battery, Fort Rodd Hill, Vancouver Island, Canada
The Twin 6-Pounder QF (Quick Firing) Gun had its origins in the 1920s. The Royal Artillery Committee was tasked with investigating the possible development of a new QF Gun for defence against fast torpedo boats. Torpedo and gun boats were small fast craft, ideal for raiding harbours, and defence against them was necessary.
The Westwood Works of Peterborough, England submitted a design for such a gun in 1925. This consisted of two 6-Pounder QF Guns housed in a three sided metal shield with a roof. Trials commenced and the gun was eventually accepted for service in 1934, but it was 1937 before the first production gun entered service. This was mounted at an AMTB Battery in Singapore.
The gun weighed 9cwt 1qr 24lb (480 kg). It fired a shell weighing 6lb 4oz 48dr (2·85 kg). A full charge of 1lb 6oz 3dr (0·63 kg) of RDN/A gave it a range of 5150 yards (4709 metres) at an elevation of 7·5°.
The Twin 6-Pounder was operated by a gun crew of 6 men, with more working on the ammunition supply chain from the magazines. The gun was capable of a rapid traverse, and despite being hand-loaded, they could achieve a rate of fire of 72 rounds a minute when served by a well drilled gun crew. To keep up with this rate of fire, and to cope with the rapid traverse of the gun, ammunition was stacked on trays which were on rails immediately behind the gun. The guns shields were fitted with a powerful extractor fan on the roof, to remove the build up fumes which would otherwise affect the gun crew.
The Breech Assembly
There would seem to be only three Twin 6-Pounders in existence today. The Belmont Battery at Fort Rodd Hill, and two at the Torre de Belém, Lisbon, Portugal.