The Pulau Hantu A.M.T.B. Battery was strategically placed to guard the western entrance to Keppel Harbour. With two other such batteries which were on each side of the harbour entrance, it would provide a strong defence against any small fast attack craft. The combined pattern of searchlights from the three batteries could illuminate the approaches to, and entrance to the harbour, ensuring that a night attack could be well defended against.

A plan of A.M.T.B. Battery C.A.S.L. patterns covering the western approach to Keppel harbour

Pulau Hantu from Fort Siloso
A somewhat different view from today
As with other A.M.T.B. batteries in Singapore, the Pulau Hantu Battery was constructed for the Twin 6 Pounder QF Gun. In the case of Pulau Hantu a single Twin 6 Pounder. When war came to Europe in 1939 no Twin 6 Pounder guns were available for Singapore, production being mainly reserved for home waters in the UK. Pulau Hantu and some other batteries were left without armament.
Old 12 Pounder QF guns were installed at Batu Berlayar and OSO, but Tanjong Tereh, Pulau Ubin, Changi Inner and Pulau Hantu remained unarmed. Shortly after the advent of war with Japan, an old 18 Pounder QF gun was found for Pulay Hantu to help beef up the defence of the western entrance to Keppel Harbour.
Extract from War Diary H.Q. Fixed Defences
12.12.41 Fort Canning 1901. From DALI :- One 18-pdr available for immediate issue for PO. Hantu also 200 rounds shrapnel. Details of time and place of issue will follow.
Extract from Faber Fire Command Operations
12.12.41 2040 ART (H.Q. Fixed Defences). One 18-Pdr available for issue for PULAU HANTU also 200 rounds Shrapnel. Details of time, place of issue will follow. According to the Faber Fire Command Survey of Operations, Pulau Hantu was only issued with 100 rounds of percussion shrapnel.
Extract from War Diary H.Q. Fixed Defences
Fort Canning 13/12/41 1925. Gun shift at PULAU HANTU in progress R.E. are building platform hoped to be ready tomorrow.
The platform referred to above was a Traverse Platform which had a wheel like a cartwheel fitted to it, around which the wheels of the 18 pounder would sit. The gun could then be quickly traversed (see photo below). The platform was built on top of the holdfast on which a twin 6 Pounder QF gun would have been fitted. Traverse Platforms can be seen under the 25 Pounder guns displayed at Fort Siloso.

Oblique view of Pulau hantu a.M.T.B. battery

Aerial view of the battery

a small junk close to Pulau hantu
There is no record of Pulau Hantu being bombed. However it is recorded that on February 11 several bombs fell in the sea between Pulau Hantu and Blakang Mati.
From Faber Fire Command Operations.
..... During Feb 13th about 4 shells fell on the island, one of which fell close to the 18 pdr causing superficial damage.
At 2130 hrs orders were given to P Hantu via Batu Berlayer (sic) to do everything possible to delay any hostile attempts to approach Blakan Mati......at 2230hrs B.C. Batu Berlayar (Capt Pickard) gave orders to B.C. P. Hantu (Lt. CARTER) to destroy the equipment engine room and ammunition. These were completed by 2330 hrs and the P Hantu Personnel withdrew to Berhala Reping.
From Faber Fire Command Diary of Events
The gun was destroyed by the double shot method. All ammunition was dumped in deep water off P. Hantu Pier
Equipment in the tower was also destroyed and the RE (Royal Engineers) party destroyed the engine room. S/G Bty RA (V) destroyed the two searchlights.
The men from the battery, with those from Batu Berlayar, withdrew to Blakang Mati and for the remainder of the night formed a defensive line on Hospital Hill. At 0800 on the 14th, the men withdrew to Berhala Reping. Prior to the Capitulation on the 15th February they were part of a body of men sent to form part of the defences of Fort Connaught.
Capt. Ritchie and a group of men escaped Blakang Mati on a motor tongkang during the night of the 15th. The party were recorded as missing.

The Director Tower in 1946

The Traverse Platform
As with most of the coast batteries in Singapore, Pulau Hantu was abandoned after the war. The island was renamed as Keppel Island in 1983, The name ‘Hantu’ or‘Ghost’ being deemed as less than acceptable. The island has its own marina and restaurants – somewhat different to its early days as a shipyard and then gun battery.