The gun batteries mentioned in this page, have yet to have their own page(s) in the main site. They will be added as information and time permit. The links are for Google Earth.
Pre-World War Two Batteries
Fort Canning 1860s
- Fort Canning: There are still a few remains of this important early fort to be found in Fort Canning Park. The Sally Port, a Fort Gate, and part of the wall can still be found.
- Fort Pasir Panjang: There are substantial remains of the 6 Pounder QF, 7 Inch RML, 6 Inch QF and Mark IV 9·2 Inch BL batteries which were once at today’s Labrador Park. Magazines for the 9·2-Inch Guns, the 7-Inch RML Battery and the 6-Inch QF Battery still exist, but are sealed.
- Fort Tanjong Katong: Originally armed with three 7 Inch RML Guns, later up-rated to two Mark VII 8 Inch BL Guns. Located in Katong Park, this was the only true coastal artillery fort built on Singapore. Land reclamation means that the Fort is no longer on the coast. An archaeological dig uncovered substantial remains of the fort. See the Links page.
Changi Fire Command 1942
Pengerang Battery Location
- Changi Battery: No remains are left of this two gun Mark VII 6 Inch BL Gun Battery which was on the hill behind Changi Village. The airport radar station covers the site.
- Pengerang Battery: Not in Singapore, but east of Changi in Malaysia. Substantial remains are still visible, but the gun emplacements for the two Mark VII 6 Inch BL Guns themselves are on what is now Malaysian Navy land and it is not certain, but is likely that there are remains of these.
- Sphinx Battery: On restricted MINDEF land on Pulau Tekong. It is not thought that any remains of this two gun Mark 24 6 Inch BL Gun Battery remain following building works on Pyramid Hill.
AMTB (Anti-Motor Torpedo Boat) Batteries
All Singapore AMTB Batteries were designed to be armed with Twin 6 Pounder QF Guns. These guns fired 6 Pound shells at a rate of in excess of 72 rounds per minute with a well drilled crew. In the event, there were insufficient Twin 6 Pounders to go round and much older 12 Pounder QF and Field Artillery 18-Pounders were pressed into service in some places. Two ancient 6 Pounders were also mounted on a ship hulk to the east of Keppel Harbour and on the Mole to bolster the defences.
War Accommodation at Calder Harbour
AMTB Batteries Changi Fire Command
- Calder Harbour: On the eastern side of Pulau Tekong and not accessible. Remains of this two Twin 6 Pounder Battery exist.
- Changi Inner (School): Built for two Twin 6 Pounders, but was never armed. It was located on the south side of Changi Creek opposite the tip of Changi spit. Traces of the emplacement can still be found near the swimming pool at Club CSC.
- Pulau Sejahat: There are substantial remains of this emplacement which was armed with two Twin 6 Pounders. Pulau Sejahat has now been joined to Pulau Tekong by land reclamation. Not accessible.
AMTB Batteries Faber Fire Command
- Pulau Hantu (Now called Pulau Keppel): No remains of the emplacement which was armed with an 18 Pounder Field Gun.
- Loudon: This was one of many hulks sunk in the harbour eastern entrance to form a block. An old single 6 Pounder QF Gun (as mounted at Batu Berlayar in 1892) and a D.E.L. (Searchlight) were mounted on the Loudon. It is not known what position in the row of hulks that the Loudon was in.
- The Mole: An old single 6 Pounder QF was also mounted here. The exact location of the gun on the Mole is not known.
A signal to the G.O.C. Malaya Command dated 31 January 1941 stated, “Agree with you views on defence of Singapore roads and consider that as soon as present 6-pdr scheme has been completed at Changi Outer, Changi Inner and Keppel Harbour, four 12-pdrs. which are being installed as interim measure, should then be emplaced at Tanjong Rhu (2) Fullerton Building (1) Singapore Yacht Club (1)”". As 12-Pounders were still emplaced at Siloso (1), Batu Berlayar (2) and Ladang (1) in December 1941, it would seem that this scheme never came to fruition.